Friday, August 31, 2012

Memories

The masked man entered the dark room a knife in his hand there was silence all around. There was no electricity and the only source of light was a lone candle burning in the next room. I could clearly see him walking stealthily towards the shelf ' just a few feet away from where I was standing. What do I do now; scream for help or pound him on the head with the flower vase .Suddenly some one nudged me "Wakeup we have reached" I get up with a start ' where was I, where was the masked man. Then I realized that I was in the office cab and we were in front of the office. Luckily I had not reacted by clouting my friend when she woke me up.


Many of you who have worked in the outskirts of Bangalore city at ITPL or Electronic city would have experienced these long tiresome journeys. Well when my company announced that they were shifting to ITPL in 3 months time there were a lot of "ooo" and "ahhs". We were located in the heart of the city and moving so far was not really welcome.

Luckily we did not move for 5 months, but then the day finally dawned when we had to move. We all met at the old office premises, got into cabs and headed towards our new destination. All "firsts" are really exciting- be it your first job, you first trip abroad, your first flight; and so was this first trip to ITPL. The 6 cabs left together and one could hear singing, joke and shouts as one cab overtook there other. One hour 45 minutes the excited lot had reached our destination.

Well I must admit that the first 10 to 15 days was really exciting. Most of us enjoyed the long journey, the chance to chat (my friend and I would chat so much at we were nicknamed the "Talking Twins"), crack jokes and play antakshri etc. At each pick up point we would greet our colleagues with loud "hi's" and good mornings". Book lovers found ample time to read novels, and some even managed to do some knitting/ embroidery in during the long journey.

Soon this excitement began to wear off- and problems began to surface. The pick-up time was too early, the pick-up point not convenient, journey was too long and hectic, and traffic jams were a nuisance. We would inch through heavy traffic at Marthalli wondering when the bridge work would be completed; wait endlessly on Airport road for every minister or delegate who decided to visit Bangalore. As the days rolled on these journeys to and fro were considered a headache. Many would just sleep through the journey, some read books and some talk endlessly on their mobiles.

Well 7 months later I switched jobs. Now I am back to working in the heart of the city. My commute to the office takes a maximum of 10-15 minutes. No more traffic jams, no more early morning pickups and no more grumbling. However at times I do miss the cab rides, the nonstop jabbering and the nice peaceful sleep in the cabs.

No comments: