Friday, August 31, 2012

Change the World

"If I could change the world, I would make it the most beautiful place inthe universe" someone commented. "Just see the state it is in corruption, natural calamities, wars, adulteration, etc., etc".
  
"My manager won't change, always the same . Short deadlines, work .. Be dictated, clients are to be kept happy. That's all he knows" said mycolleague tossing her notepad on the table. I looked at her and
 
smiled. Kavitha never got tired of cribb ing about her boss, She always wished Mr. Modi would change his attitude.
"How do I get my hubby to change, he is so indifferent and does not understand" grumbled by close friend Preethi over lunch.
 
"I just can't change my parents way of thinking, they are so old fashioned" my teenage cousin screamed one evening. "All by friends are going for the concert and they refuse to let me go" Tina always grumbled about her parents as they were not lenient like her friends parents.
 
What is common between Kavith, Preethi and Tina Its quite clear, the are not happy about the behavior of people around them and they wish they would change to suit their demands. Nothing new or surprising, I am sure each an every one of us would like the people around us to behave according to our whims and fancies.
 
Yes won't it be really simple if we could change the behavior of the people around us. Change their behavior to suite our needs. Imagine if you had a remote, which could make people around behave the way you want I would be fun. Or come to think of it, it may not be fun after all because someone will have a remote to control us as well. However in reality such things are not possible. Therefore it is no point grumbling or brooding about the behavior/ attitude of the people around us. The main reasons being:
 
  • You cannot change someone to behave the way we want.
  • Trying to change someone would result in you and the other person getting upset.
  • It is humanly impossible to change so many people
 
What is the solution? What is the solution? Well take a few minutes to read the words of poems I received in my email some years back, it will help. It goes like:
 
 
When I was young, I wanted to change the world. I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation. When I found I couldn”t change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn”t change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family. Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world. ~Author Unknown
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: